On Sunday, April 28th, Mark Brewer made an important announcement about the pastor search process at GJCC and Mark Weible reminded us of our purpose, mission, vision and values. If you missed it, you can watch a replay of our Facebook Live Stream below.
After Jesus' resurrection, he prepared his followers for what's next:
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
We are on a Journey of Grace, together in a Community that we call Church. The Bible describes the Church as the body of Christ with each member having different functions. We recognize that we are all different and we were designed for different places in the Body of Christ.
OUR CORE VALUES
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." (I Corinthians 13:13)
Our Purpose Defines Who We Are
At Grace Journey Community Church, we have given much thought to our purpose and vision. We believe too many visions can be just as harmful as no vision. “Where there is no vision, the people perish” Proverbs 29:18. Consequently, GJCC ministers under a single purpose that is biblical and compelling. This purpose defines who we are, why we exist and every thing that we do points to the fulfillment of our vision.
Our Purpose Statement Explains Why We Exist
In his classic book, “Mere Christianity”, C.S. Lewis states, “…the church exists for nothing else but to draw men into Christ, to make them little Christs. If they are not doing that, all the cathedrals, clergy, missions, sermons, even the Bible itself, are simply a waste of time. God became man for no other purpose.”
At GJCC we couldn’t agree more. Therefore our purpose statement is:
The Result of Our Purpose
We exist to make disciples of Jesus (little christs)
In order to live out our purpose, we've developed a process of purpose fulfillment that is our vision.
First, we asked ourselves, “What does a disciple look like?”
We state it this way: Disciples in our church are becoming...
- People of faith
- People of hope
- People of love.
Second, we considered, “How does this take place?”
This was a critical question as it gives definition to our vision. We say: People of our church become mature disciples by...
- Experiencing the Faith (Worship)- Experiencing the Faith is participating in God’s eternal story through the Word and personal expression.
- Enjoying the Hope (Small Groups)- Enjoying the Hope is growing confidence in the unseen reality that is ours in Christ.
- Expressing the Love (Ministries)- Expressing the Love is emulating God’s selfless nature as we relate with our church, community and world.
Our Mission Statement
Grace Journey Community Church is a community of disciples of Jesus Christ on mission together to make more and better disciples of Jesus who Experience the Faith, Enjoy the Hope and Express the Love of Jesus.
What we believe about...
1. THE BIBLE – We believe in the Scripture of the Old and New Testaments as verbally inspired by God, and inerrant in the original writings, and that they are the supreme and final authority in faith and life.
2. GOD – We believe in one God, eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit and their eternal relationship of radical selflessness within the Trinity is the model for God’s people today.
3. THE PERSON OF CHRIST – We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.
4. THE HOLY SPIRIT – We believe the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God, fully divine, and proceeds from the Father and the Son, convicting the world of sin, calling man to Christ and fully indwelling and sealing all true believers in Christ until the day of redemption.
5. MAN – We believe that man was created in the image of God to enjoy an intimate relationship with God, that man sinned, and thereby incurred, not only physical death, but also spiritual death which is separation from God, and stand in need of redemption.
6. SALVATION – We believe that the Lord Jesus died for our sins, according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice, and that all who trust in Christ alone by faith alone are justified on the grounds of His shed blood and are born again of the Holy Spirit, and thereby become children of God.
7. RESURRECTION – We believe in the literal, bodily, resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead which declares that Jesus is Deity and the only way to the Father.
8. ASCENSION - We believe in the ascension of Jesus Christ to the right hand of God the Father in Heaven and His present life there for us as High Priest and Advocate.
9. RETURN OF CHRIST – We believe that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will personally return and set up His Kingdom wherein He will rule and reign in righteousness.
10. ETERNITY – We believe in the bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, the blessedness of the saved to spend eternity in the presence of God and the retribution of the lost to be eternally separated from God.